Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Introduction to the Blogosphere

Hello all and welcome to my very first blog post. Never before had I thought about the power of a blog in teaching until I heard an undergraduate music ed major (Andrew Zweibel at University of Miami) present last week at OMEA conference on how to use blogging and microblogging (i.e. Twitter) to increase professional development and enhance the classroom. So here I am, adding my voice to the conversation in hopes of making impact on someone else as sure as I have already been impacted by others in my short time in this medium.

I am an independent private music teacher (saxophone) in the Cincinnati area and am also Lecturer of Saxophone at Muskingum University in New Concord, OH. I have been teaching privately for 15 years now and I also have two years experience as a middle school music educator where I taught band, arts appreciation, and choir at a northern Kentucky school district. I love what I do. I struggle sometimes with the lifestyle that it brings me and I am doing my best to shape that in every way but I try not to underestimate how fortunate I am to be able to say "I love what I do." This doesn't mean that it consumes my life as i also enjoy doing triathlons and spending time with my family and friends. I could never do the corporate daily grind that I see so many people do and yet find themselves miserable. Sharing an activity that brings you so much joy with young people is like coating chocolate with chocolate. It just keeps getting better.

I hope that with this blog, I will be able to share my ideas of how to impact kids, implement change and also get feedback from others on the obstacles that come my way. I am a deep thinker; so I have a strong interest in the education system as a whole in addition to my specialty of music. While I am a saxophonist and at times I may have to share things that may seem specific to my specialty, I really am more concerned with issues of teaching kids in this ever-changeing, fast paced society of ours. Thanks for your time and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment